Becoming a childminder in Hampshire is a clear career choice. Your decision to start a childminding business starts here. We will be here to support you all the way, your business partner.
10 steps to a successful childminding business…..
- Before embarking on a career in childminding you need to consider if you can create a sustainable business. To help answer this you need to check out who else is offering childcare in your area and what they offer, so click here and do a childcare search in a small radius of your own postcode and see what other provision is available to parents. You can also check how much a local childminder can earn. It is also important, as this new business will operate from your family home*, that you have spoken to your family members about it and have their support.
- To become a childminder will take roughly 6 months. Our Local Authority subsidise the training and support package for becoming a childminder and therefore have an expectation all settings will be able to provide high quality care to children, embark on a Level 3 childcare qualification and work towards providing services to families who wish to claim the Government funded free nursery hours for 2, 3 and 4 year olds. How much your training package will cost you is dependant on Local Authority funding, you will be advised this after completing a First Contact Form (see below).
- You are required to work towards being up and running within the first 6 months of registration, therefore if you are pregnant or wish to delay starting working with families we advise that you wait until you are in a position to meet this expectation.
- Once you have seriously looked into the viability of starting a childminding business you will need to know more about being a childminder - so next is the PACEY briefing session where you will find out a lot more about being a childminder in Hampshire, about the registration process, pro’s and con’s of childminding and the career pathway open to you. (The briefing sessions is run as a webinar online session).
- After all the info gathering its on to training – in Hampshire you will access an E-Learning pre-registration course (view Course Info click back button to return to this page), this is a 40 guided learning hours course, with a guideline of 12 weeks to complete. You will receive a text-book to support the course and have local support from a working childminder which we link you with and your online marker. Course entry requirements are Level 2 in Maths and English (GCSE grade C or equivalent). More details will be made available at the briefing session about the course and also help to attain the entry requirements. There is a fast track option for people who already hold a valid Level 3 in Childcare. Alongside this you will also be required to complete a 12 hour paediatric first aid course and a 3 hour safeguarding children workshop. From September 2012 it is a legal requirement that you have completed pre-registration training before registration with OFSTED.
- After all your learning it’s time to register with OFSTED (you legally must have completed step 5 before starting your application). A PACEY Co-ord will guide you through the process. Allow at least 12 weeks for the registration process.
- OFSTED will visit you to check you and your home are suitable for home-based childcare provision, they will be looking to see you are prepared to start childminding straight away, including having researched/purchased Public Liability Insurance. As long as you meet the requirements of the EYFS / Childcare Register then you will be recommended for registration and soon you will receive your OFSTED certificate of registration.
- Now you have your OFSTED certificate you can inform your Insurance company that you are registered, advertise and promote your new business and start childminding!
- Once you’re caring for children and within the first 6 months of registration OFSTED will do an inspection, but don’t worry we will be here to do a pre-inspection support visit with you.
- Now your off and running, we will remain here to always support your business. Constant support via our blog, offering training, email and telephone support. We will help signpost to Continuous Professional Development and further business opportunities like working towards a quality provision and signing up to be a Quality Assurance Network Childminder offering up to 15 free hours of quality care to all 3 & 4 year olds, and eligible 2 year olds, paid for by the Local Authority.
If you are interested in becoming a childminder click here to access our First Contact Form. Please complete this form and click submit, we will be back in touch within 5 working days.
* Childminding must take place in a home environment, if you are not the home owner then you must seek written permission from the owner to operate a childminding business from the premises.
If you have achieved your Level 2 or 3 overseas and want to verify if they are equivalent to UK standards/levels the official organisation to help are The National Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC). They do charge for this service. Contact them on www.naric.org.uk